My Blog List

Thursday 5 May 2011

Tyranny: I Keep You Thin

Author: Lesley Fairfield

I would firstly like to say that I am not a fan of graphic novels. The thought of reading one immediately makes me think of a long sleep, where I can dream of the words in the book and put my own imaginative images to it.

Tyranny is something else though. The pictures support the words well. There were times where I felt so sorry for the main character, Anna, and I wanted to cry when she went back into her old ways, time and time again. Her alter-ego Tyranny, who encourages Anna to starve herself (Anorexia) or throw up her food after a binge eating session (Bulimia) keeps coming back throughout the story, and Anna must battle with the thoughts that Tyranny puts into her head, as well as her condition.

There are some very sad parts - just after getting rid of her evil self, one of Anna's fellow patients die, and Tyranny comes back with a vengeance. Anna desperately tries to ignore the things that Tyranny has to say, and deal with the grief that she is experiencing as well.

I won't tell you what happens at the end of the story; that would be mean of me. The book is set out in a way that makes it easy to follow. The content is very confronting but the amount of text isn't.

This book is for senior students, possibly some sensible year nine students. It is a really gutsy read and I recommend it to any one who would enjoy following a character on some very intense highs and lows.

This book is available for borrowing at the library now!

Happy reading,

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment