My Blog List

Friday 16 May 2014

Science, QR Codes and Chess.

I have had Mrs. Anderson's 7O class in today for a QR Code Hunt around the Library.  She was working on Classification so it seemed an interesting way to both demonstrate classification and have a small Library orientation at the same time.

The class started in the Lab with a QR code directing them to the Library, which brought them to a QR Code on my office window, so that I knew they were there and could assist with the rest of the hunt.
They then checked out the Dewey Decimal charts and moved round a range of areas, taking photos to prove they had been able to follow the instructions.

The students had a ball and got right into QR Codes.  I believe that this could be used with almost any class, whether for revision or just as a novel way of teaching something.  It could even be used as a craft activity - maybe printed t-shirts or keytags?  Thank you, Mrs Anderson, for letting me show your class another fun side to learning.

Another activity that has become popular again is Chess and we have a few students taking the opportunity during recess and lunch to challenge each other. Plenty more chess sets available, so certainly room for more games to be happening.

In fact, we also have Monopoly, Battleships, Uno and various other games to use during break times, so it is not just chess. Maybe we should set up a regular board game session every week?

* EDIT:  Whoops, sorry it was actually a Yr 7 class.  My apologies to everyone.  Sorry Mrs Anderson. I have fixed it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment