My Blog List

Monday 8 February 2016

Word Power!

Today's post is something a little different - a discussion has been happening in here about the way the English language changes and develops and how different words appear, or come to mean different things.  
I can recall my consternation a few years ago, when I gave my grandson a gift and got a big hug and the comment "Thanks grandma - that's totally sick!!"  Turned out he WAS happy about it - obviously I hadn't been keeping up with the current teen dialect!!  And I am pretty sure it has changed again already!

Anyway, I have a list of words that are still used in the English language, although some maybe not all that often plus a few newer ones.  

My challenge is - how many do you know the meaning of?  And no, do NOT reach for the keyboard to Google it!!  

I would hazard a guess it will depend on your age as to how many you have heard of or know the answer to.  Or even WHICH ones you know the answer to.  Let's see how you go! 
Futz -
Tmesis -
Petrichor -
Illywhacker -
Piscatorial -
Discombobulate -
Frankenfood - 
Verjuice -
Infowhelm -
Vidiot -
Gazillionised - 
Vexillogy -
Triskaidekaphobia - 

Have fun - maybe run it past the kids!  Their faces should be  interesting! Let me know if you would like me to post the answers next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment